It is common for many of us to think that our oral health is not related to our overall health. But upon closer examination, your comprehensive health is directly related to the health of your teeth and gums.
Your mouth is a direct entrance to the rest of your body. Teeth and gums are directly linked to your digestion and bloodstream as well as your nervous, endocrine, lymphatic and skeletal systems.
The harmful organisms, bacteria, that breed in your mouth are easily shared with your entire body. It is estimated that about 90% of systemic diseases in your body are directly related to conditions in your mouth. This is why your dentist can often times be your first line of defense in detecting and preventing diseases.
At Arizona Dental Medicine we are trained at diagnosing and treating conditions of your teeth, gums and upper jaw and face. These are conditions that can impact your overall health.
There are several diseases that your dentist may be the first to detect and diagnose. Here are 7 of them.
1. Red, sore, swollen and bleeding gums are signs of periodontitis or gum disease. Periodontitis is proven to be associated with increased risk of heart disease and stroke.
2. Sore, pale gums are an indicator that you have anemia. Anemia affects about 3.5 million people in the united states. Left untreated anemia can lead to severe fatigue, heart problems, nerve damage, impaired mental function and even death.
3. Bright red, spongy, inflamed gums that bleed easily is often times a signal of leukemia.
4. Tooth erosion and a breakdown of enamel is an indicator that you may be suffering from eating disorders, such as anorexia or bulimia.
5. Air blowing on your gums and making them bleed can be an indication of pregnancy.
6. Bad breath, chronic dry mouth, receding gums and gums that bleed easily are often associated with diabetes.
7. White spots and sores that are slow to heal on your gums and other oral tissues in the mouth can be early signs of oral cancer.
Don’t take chances with your health. If it’s been longer than 6 months, call us today to schedule an appointment. Early detection of health issues goes a long ways towards reversing them completely. 520-297-9069